As homeowners, we often neglect one of the most vital parts of our home, the gutters! Without them, rain water would just sit next to the property causing deterioration and eventually leaks. Most of the time you need not worry about them, but they have needs a few times out of the year to work best. Read on for some great tips on gutter cleaning and maintenance!
Keep Your Gutters Clean!
This is the most common task when we think of our gutters, but it’s not to be disregarded. If you haven’t already cleaned out your gutters for the spring, it is time to do so! This season can bring torrential downpours for days. You will want your gutters in full operation. Another great time to clean them out is around mid or end of fall when most of the leaves have fallen. Our gutters tend to be great at leaf catching. Pull out a calendar that you regularly look at and put in a couple of gutter cleaning dates on it with reminders.
We know you love to take care of your home. You take pride in being able to do maintenance jobs all on your own. With gutters though, especially high up ones, take a serious second to decide if you are up to the task. If so, make sure you have the right tools and a bit of courage!
Gutter Cleaning Supplies You will Need:
- A sturdy extendable ladder
- A tarp or garbage can for the gunk
- Rubber gloves and a long sleeve shirt that you don’t mind getting dirty
- A friend or family member to help – the reason we stress this is that this type of job can lead to accidents. Having someone there will ensure that if something happens, you are not alone. An additional person can also help hold the ladder, move the garbage can/tarp, and help you with the hose. Trust us, this will make things go a lot faster and maybe give you some bonding time with that father-in-law!
Gutter Cleaning Tips!
- Set aside an hour to 3 hours depending on the size of house and work rate.
- Allow for a few dry days for easier cleaning.
- Make sure the ground level is solid. If it wobbles at all, readjust.
- Watch for power lines!
- Never climb above the second to last rung/step.
- After you have cleaned them out, grab the hose and flush out the gutter starting at the opposite side of the downspout. Make sure it’s free-flowing.
Important: There is no shame in calling a professional to handle this for you. Heights are not everyone’s cup of tea. Your safety is very important. Calling a local gutter cleaning service to do this will help the local Upstate South Carolina economy and give you more time for other things! This is a service So Clean offers!
Keep Your Gutters Maintained!
If your gutters are broken or clogged that can lead to more damage to them and the foundation of your home. When cleaning the gutter, look for any damaged areas.
Check Your Gutters For:
- Water damage
- Peeling Paint
If you see damage, address it as soon as possible. If you are not up to the task, So Clean has a gutter restoration service that will get your gutters up to tip-top shape again!
Consider Upgrading Your Gutters
If you have a lot of tall trees constantly dropping foliage into your gutters, maybe consider investing in a gutter protection system. These are usually in the form of guards that keep the gutter clear of solid debris most of the time. They also deter wild animals and insects from making your gutters their home. Having a gutter guard will not mean that you won’t have to clean it out anymore, but it will cut down on time taken and the mess endured.
Bottom Line With Gutter Cleaning
We know gutter cleaning and maintenance is not the funnest of home maintenance jobs, but it is an important one. In the long run, you will save money by maintaining them. Your property’s foundation will thank you! And remember, you can outsource this job to a professional. So Clean would be thankful to come out and show your gutter systems some love! Contact us today!